Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Tonight...

Tonight after work I donned shorts, a hoodie and walked outside. I walked barefoot on the asphalt, obsidian rock pulled roughly at my feet as I wandered through the dark streets of my parents neighborhood under a veil of velvet clouds covering the night sky. I inhaled a deep breath of air that was on the brink of being cold and tinted with the essence of a bonfire. I shivered, smiled, and pulled my hoodie a little tighter around my chest.

My mind meandered aimlessly through a garden of pretty thoughts and my heart was so full of fun that it seemed to slosh and spill over the edge with every step I took.

There is only one thing to do when life seems this beautiful and terrifyingly expansive. I glanced down the street, saw there was no one around, and I took off to the maple tree. I climbed, sequestered myself up among the branches, and wrapped my arms around the trunk. Rough bark pulled at my cheek as I looked up into the sky and at that moment the stars peeked through the clouds just so they could laugh delightedly with me.

I sat up there, a little closer to the sky for quite a while before I clambered down, ran inside, and ate a sandwich slathered with peanut butter and jelly.

Oh, my Father is awfully fond of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment